Homesteading takes over your life in a such a beautiful and sometimes inconvenient way. Once you’ve given in to the homestead life, you realize your priorities have changed.
Whether you are a veteran homesteader or just getting started in homesteading, you know transitioning to this way of life is a process of learning to do new things and embracing the busy chaos of homestead life.
I wonder if you can relate to one of these signs that the homestead life has taken you over!
15 Signs You’ve Embraced Homestead Life
1. You know summer is no time to take a vacation. That’s the busiest time of the year.
Maybe you’ll take off a couple of days this winter?
2. You always have dirt under your nails and don’t care.
God made dirt. Dirt don’t hurt!
3. You have a farmer’s tan before the public pool opens.
Tan lines are the least of your worries.
4. Your garden is neater than your house which you only clean on rainy days.
You’ve accepted the fact that you’re not superhuman. Plus you’re way too busy to worry about a few too many toys on the floor.
5. You have one or two nice outfits, but everything else is stained with mud, poop, or an unknown substance.
You don’t even worry about what it is anymore.
6. When something breaks and you can’t fix it, you take it apart and save the pieces for future use.
Why buy something when you can make it from things you already have?
7. For your birthday you ask for garden tools, canning supplies, or farm animals.
You just can’t get enough!
8. When you have to choose between fixing the car and the tractor, you choose the tractor.
You’re not above picking the kids up from school in the tractor.
9. You’re always looking around your property for places to add more crops or animals.
You’ve even started eyeing the neighbor’s lawn…
10. You never shower in the morning, you’ll be filthy by 9 am.
And what’s the point of doing your hair or makeup? Ain’t nobody got time for that!
11. If you’re not up by 6 am, you freak out that you’ve overslept.
Who are we kidding? The kids and animals won’t let you sleep past 6 am.
12. At any given time, you very likely have poop on your shoes, clothes, and/or hands.
Getting poo on you is not even a thing you worry about anymore. Hopefully, you remember to wash it off before dinner.
13. You’re happy with your tiny house, but dream of having a bigger barn.
Must. Have. More. Animals.
14. If you ever do get a bigger house, a large pantry and root cellar are on the top of your wish list.
You know you’ve embraced homestead life when a well-stocked pantry is your happy place.
15. You pull the weeds in public places, and sometimes you eat them.
Other’s may say it’s a weed, but you know (at least) four ways to use it in your kitchen and/or medicine cabinet.
What would you add?
Did I forget something? Leave me a comment!