I guess some people don’t love pecans, but none of them live in my house. If your family loves pecans as much as mine, you’re sure to find a sweet or savory pecan recipe you’ll love in this list.
We are blessed with lots of pecan trees here in the south. We often sit under their shade in the summer and many southerners will go foraging for pecans in the fall. The flavor of a fresh pecan is a little sweet, a little buttery, and it has a soft toothy feel.
Harvesting pecans for recipes
Because pecan trees are giant, most nuts are gathered after they fall from the tree using these wire nut picker upper thingies. Pecans should be harvested as soon as possible after they fall from the tree. Otherwise, they will get moldy or eaten by squirrels, birds, etc.
When they fall to the ground, they may still be in the green or brown outer husk. After the husk opens, it reveals the brown nutshell which must be cracked open to harvest the nut. Pecans are best when harvested from dried brown outer husks.
Use a nutcracker to open the shell and remove the nut. You may have to use a knife or pick to get them out. Dry the nuts in a single layer in a cool dark place for 2-10 days. They can be stored in the refrigerator or freezer.
Check out this easy way to crack into some pecans even if you don’t have your official nutcracker!
Harvesting pecans is kind of a tedious job, and disease, weather, and the variety of tree will affect the flavor and quality of the pecans. If you have a pecan tree but no good nuts, check out this article on evaluating pecan tree disease issues.
Sweet and Savory Pecan Recipes
Whether you harvest your own or buy your pecans, you’ll find they are surprisingly flexible in recipes. I’ve gathered the best pecan recipes I could find to showcase the many ways you can enjoy this yummy nut!
1. Savory toasted pecans recipes
- Asian Spiced pecans at MyRecipes
- Savory spiced pecans at The Kitchn
- Spicy toasted pecan recipe at Epicurious
- How to toast pecans at Savory Sweet Life
2. Sugary candied pecans recipes
- Candied pecans from Joybilee Farm
- Spicy maple cinnamon pecans from This West Coast Mommy
- Muddy Buddy pecans from Crazy for Crust
- Slow cooker candied nuts from The Domestic Rebel
- 5 Minute candied pecans from Amy’s Healthy Baking
3. Bake pecans in cookies, cakes, and pies.
- Almond flour chocolate chip pecan cookies by This West Coast Mommy
- Butter pecan cookies by Sally’s Baking Addition
- Pecan pie cheesecake by Lil Luna
- Easy pumpkin pecan muffins by Experimental Homesteader
- Pumpkin pecan granola bars by A Virtual Vegan
- Apple pecan cake with caramel glaze by Great Grub, Delicious Treats
4. Salads With Pecans
- Raspberry Pecan Chicken Salad by Taste Of Home
- Mixed green salad with pecans from Simply Recipes
- Apple cranberry pecan salad from Damn Delicious
- Pecan chicken salad by Southern Bite
5. Prepare a pecan pesto.
- Basil pesto frugal edition at Schneider Peeps
- Sage pecan pesto at Kayln’s Kitchen
- Pork chops with orange pecan pesto at Tastes Lovely
- Collard and pecan pesto at Bon Appetit
- Rapini and pecan pesto at Food Nouveau
6. Top with chopped pecans
- Easy grilled peaches and pecans from Experimental Homesteader
- Apple pecan waffles with topping at Loaves and Dishes
- No bake pumpkin cheesecake with pecan streusel topping at With Salt and Wit
- Southern praline sauce at A Southern Fairytale
- Paleo pecan pie granola at Jay’s Baking Me Crazy
7. Pecan Crusted Recipes
- Pecan crusted baked brie from Experimental Homesteader
- Paleo Key Lime pie from Paleo Running Momma
- Sweet potato pie with pecan crust from A Dash Of Soul
- Maple pecan crusted BACON from Unsophisticook
- Pecan crusted chicken from The Adventure Bite
- Pecan crusted tilapia from Taste Of Home
8. Make a pecan nut butter.
- Pecan butter recipe by Cookie and Kate
- Pecan Praline Butter by Five Heart Home
- German chocolate cake batter butter by Good Mama Gracie
9. Add pecans to savory side dishes.
- Green beans with caramelized pecans at Epicurious
- Brussels sprouts with glazed pancetta and pecans at From Jessica’s Kitchen
- Cranberry apple pecan wild rice pilaf at Carlsbad Cravings
- Cornbread sausage and pecan dressing at Bon Appetit
- Creamy pecan crunch grape salad at Wishes and Dishes
10. Try pecans rolled into delectable truffles.
- Pecan pie balls from Just A Pinch
- Bourbon pecan truffles from Martha Stewart
- No bake coconut pecan truffles from Frugal Living Mom
- Maple BACONpecan truffles from The Grateful Girl Cooks
11. Pecan ice cream recipes
- No churn salted caramel butter pecan ice cream by No Spoon Necessary
- Low carb pecan praline ice cream by I Breathe, I’m Hungry
- Caramelized banana pecan paleo ice cream by My Natural Family
12. Allergy friendly pecan pie recipes
- Dairy free pecan pie by Go Dairy Free
- Keto pecan pie by Kyndra Holley
- Gluten free pecan pie by A Lady In France
- Paleo pecan pie by The Banana Diaries
- Vegan pecan pie by Rhian’s Recipes